What Changes Will Occur?
At this year’s Annual Meeting, the parish voted to create a new process for vestry elections. In 2021, our parish will move from contested elections to a proposed slate. Your vestry is excited about this change, as we believe the new process will help the Nominating Committee meet its goals to have:
- Capable, committed vestry members who want to serve the parish
- An inclusive vestry that represents a broad cross-section of our parish
- Vestry members that represent the gifts and talents we think we need
- A process that encourages capable, faithful members to agree to stand for election
Some things will remain the same. A nominating committee will still discern which candidates will stand for election, additional nominations will still be accepted, and people will continue to vote at the Annual Meeting.
Some things will change:
- The Nominating Committee will now be composed of both current vestry and non-vestry members.
- The Nominating Committee will present a slate of candidates for vestry equal to the number of open positions to be filled (four, not eight)
- Additional candidates may be proposed up to 12 days before the vestry election. After that date, nominations will be closed.
Who Can Serve on the Nominating Committee? When will they be chosen?
This year, we will have a seven-member Nominating Committee. The four (4) retiring vestry members will serve on the committee, as they have in the past. Vestry will seek three (3) non-vestry members to serve. Vestry hopes that parishioners will nominate, or self-nominate, if they are willing to serve on the Nominating Committee.
We hope to have the Nominating Committee appointed by the first of September, so please send in your suggestions by August 15, 2023 or earlier. Please ask people if they are willing to serve before sending in a nomination.
Everyone on the Nominating Committee must be eligible to vote in vestry elections, meaning they must be enrolled Confirmed Communicants in Good Standing sixteen (16) years of age or older. In other words, if one can vote, one can serve. Once on the Nominating Committee, a person must “rest” for three (3) years before serving on this committee again. The final selection for non-vestry members will be made by those vestry members NOT on the Nominating Committee.
What happens next?
After the Nominating Committee is selected, this committee will solicit names for vestry service. This will happen in early fall. The Committee hopes to have its recommended nominees by early December. By January 10, 2023 at the latest, the names, bios and photos of the nominees will be published for the parish. This will be at least four (4) weeks prior to the Annual Meeting.
Should anyone want to propose additional candidates to run for vestry, names would need to be submitted by Tuesday, January 26, 2023 at 5:00. The Annual Meeting and vote are currently scheduled for February 7, 2021.
Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Submit Names for Nominating Committee Service: July-August 15, 2020
Submit Names for Vestry Service September-October 31, 2020